Thursday, January 24, 2013

Clients, Users, Visualization Exercises

Clients are the marketers who engage a graphic designer's services. The difference between a client (the marketer) and the user (audience) is, the audience are the people who a graphic designer is creating the experiences for. The user's are who will be buying the products, the people who will have an experience when engaging in the products or logo or advertisement the designer is creating.

Yesterday, Jimmy Moss, who I've mentioned in my previous blogs, was trying to express to us, his students, why it is so important to understand the client base, and the different profiles between the client and the user. And during this conversation, he began talking about goals and how I, as a designer, will have to learn how to manage my time wisely and give myself the appropriate deadlines, according to what my client base is, to be able to completely my objectives successfully. I have taken a couple of graphic design classes before, at my community college, and Dana Maiden was one of my teachers. She was the first to introduce me to the importance of time management and why creating deadlines for yourself is so important. She told me that I knew how I work and what it takes for me to get things done, she told me that if I gave myself deadlines, within the deadlines my client gives me, not only would I be able to complete my work on time, but my work would be more successful and much more properly executed, given the extra time cushion. Jimmy expressed this to us as well. He told us that by coming up with our own deadlines, it will prepare us for being able to render our own decisions and develop many different strategies for completing our tasks effectively and sufficiently. Pretty exciting stuff.

Anyway, we had a little exercise yesterday, a Visualization Exercise.
Jimmy told us a little story. He had us close our eyes and visualize the story he was telling us. It was about taking a journey; I got up from bed on a sunny day, I walked through my small town towards a forest on a hill. Climbing through the forest I came to a cliff where I marveled at the beauty around me and then flew on a white birds back across the sky to another small grassy clearing where I saw an inviting cave and entered a door with my name on it. And as he came to a close he asked us to draw what we saw in through the door. Funny enough, I was immediately expecting to see something horrific starring back at me through the darkness, even though the story Jimmy had just told us was sweet and light. I watched a scary movie the night before and images of that demon face came flooding back into my thoughts; I only slept three hours that night. Anyway, I realized as I was drawing, that images in my head of the story Jimmy had told us started flooding back into my mind as I drew, so I began rendering those as well. Its hard for me to concentrate on one thing whenever I work, which is why I constantly take notes on things I see or hear around me all day, every day. So, as I was drawing my dark scary cave, I started drawing the story he told us. Me, the girl, waking up on a sunny day, the thick forest and pretty flowers, the giant white bird and the clouds, the cave. The story was irrelevant to what the initial outcome of what i saw in the cave was, but as I drew, I couldn't help but think of the story, so I drew that too. It was such an awesome way to get your creative juices flowing, artistically and intellectually. It reminded me of when I do blind contour drawings as exercise before I start a project. What was even more awesome was seeing everyones different perspective of what they saw when they entered the door with their name on it. Some people saw happy sunny places, like the beach, or an art studio, while others saw a scene from a horror movie like I did. It was excellent.

This is a picture of what I illustrated:

No comments:

Post a Comment