Monday, March 11, 2013

Charles & Ray Eames

Charles and Ray Eames are a very famous design team; a team I learned about when I took a History of Design class at Cal State Los Angeles. The Eames brothers are most known for their modern architectural designs, furniture designs, as well as short films. Recently, In my Concept Development class, we have been discussing our final project and basically we need to create a video which visually communicates an idea I have which will help the Earth's sustainability. To be able to visually communicate something to a broad audience, successfully is what I have to keep in mind. Who will I be creating this for? What will they feel when they see it? What do I want them to experience when they watch my video? What do I want them to do about the problem at hand? My job is to communicate the problem I am believe is important, and persuade my viewers to have a reaction and to take action.

The Eames brothers created a short film in the 1970's which is called, the Powers of Ten. The short film is similar to the one I am assigned to do; its relation being, communicating an idea or problem to an audience in an interesting way. The film takes us through a process of measuring time through meters by starting us at a point right above a couple sitting on a lawn, and then moving outward towards space, measuring the distance as we go. Every ten seconds our field of view moves back 10 meters  therefore our view multiplies by factors of 10. An interesting way of showing "relative size of things in the univers and the effect of adding another zero."

No comments:

Post a Comment