Monday, March 11, 2013

Lynda.com presents: AIGA

AIGA was once called the American Institute of Graphic Arts, but is now considered the Professional Associating of Design. AIGA is a national organization for designers, has 64 chapters, and over 20 thousand members, more than half of those members being college students.

Today I watched a documentary by Lynda.com called Lynda.com presents: AIGA. It was a documentary on the AICA organization and I learned a lot of information about the organization and what they believe in; some information I have listed above.  In the documentary, Lynda was sitting in an interview with Rick Grefe, the executive director, and he spoke about Design for Democracy and various global problems that designers use as inspiration for creating new designs.  I felt that this particular section reached out to me as the most inspiration, at that very moment, because he talked about something I am currently interested and am pursuing today. Rick Grefe spoke about a way to use design that is important to everyone, that being economic, as well as global, problems that every living creature is experiencing. These kinds of design ideas, if created successfully, can motivate public action and participation in environmental issues.

This interview was important to me because, as of last week, I have been worrying on a project where I must communicate an environmental solution to creating a sustainable world for myself and others. Global problems such as clean water, education availability  trash, disease, energy, or the lack of, are all issues people living in this world have to deal with. Being able to communicate those issues and a way to create change for a better world is something I can do through design.



Feel free to check out the AIGA website:  http://www.aiga.org/
as well as
Lynda's website:  http://www.lynda.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment